Candidate for Vice President: Jeff Garrett
The membership of the ANA is my greatest concern. The hobby has expanded tenfold in the last two decades, yet the membership numbers remain stagnant. I believe a solid membership base is critical to the financial strength of the ANA. The ANA will need to make the investments required to attract and retain new members. This will include significant efforts to improve the ANA website. Survival of the ANA should never be taken for granted!
For the last 35 years, I have devoted my life to numismatics. In fact, I have attended every ANA summer and spring show since 1974. This year's summer show in Chicago will be my 40th in a row.
The financial footing of the organization is critical as well. I look forward to being a part of making sure the ANA has the funds to fulfill the membership needs now and for future generations. My previous 15 years of Board experience with the Professional Numismatists Guild, having been treasurer and president, will be useful experience.
Coin clubs are critical to numismatics, and many years ago I helped organize the Bluegrass Coin Club in Lexington, Kentucky. Today, the club is very healthy, with over 50 members. The ANA has long been an important part of my life as well. In the mid-1970s, I was fortunate to have received a scholarship to the ANA Summer Seminar. The Summer Seminar had an incredible impact on my early numismatic journey. I truly believe the ANA Summer Seminars are extremely important.
Numismatic education is the foundation of my recent efforts in numismatics. Recently, I have authored several works, including 100 Greatest U.S. Coins and Encyclopedia of United States Gold Coins. The Smithsonian Institution has also been an important part of these efforts, including raising over $2,000,000 for numismatic exhibits. I plan to bring the same amount of energy to my work as the ANA vice president.
I look forward to serving the organization that has meant so much to me for many years. Please consider me with your vote in this summer's election.
Read another candidates' statement
- Candidate for President: Walter Ostromecki
- Candidate for Vice President: Jeff Garrett
- Candidate for Governor: Gary Adkins
- Candidate for Governor: Scott Barman
- Candidate for Governor: Steve D'Ippolito
- Candidate for Governor: Mike Ellis
- Candidate for Governor: William D. Hyder
- Candidate for Governor: Richard Jozefiak
- Candidate for Governor: Greg Lyon
- Candidate for Governor: Tom Mulvaney
- Candidate for Governor: Oded Paz
- Candidate for Governor: Ralph Ross
- Candidate for Governor: Scott Rottinghaus
- Candidate for Governor: Laura Sperber
- Candidate for Governor: Jeff Swindling
- Candidate for Governor: Jeff Wuller