Register for Seminars and Workshops at Portland National Money Show
The American Numismatic Association’s School of Numismatics is offering workshops and pre-convention seminars in conjunction with the 2009 National Money Show™, March 13-15 in Portland. Attendees are encouraged to take advantage of the wide range of educational offerings.
Technical Series (Member price: $249 through Feb. 10, $269 after; pre-registration required.)
- • Coin Conservation, Authentication and Grading, March 10-12, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- A three-day seminar emphasizing the most essential numismatic skills for collectors of any level. Digital presentation, open discussion and hands-on coin examination. Instructor: Brian Silliman, current NGC grader and former conservator and assistant director of operations for Numismatic Conservation Services Collector Series (Member price: $149 before Feb. 10, $169 after; pre-registration required.)
- • Advanced Morgan Dollar Study, March 11-12, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Take your passion for Morgan dollars to the next level with hands-on grading and identification of the best varieties in the series. Instructor: Ash Harrison, president, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors
- • Collecting Coins of the World, 1500-Present, March 11-12, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- This seminar starts with the basics (books, identification and attribution) before discussing the effects of exploration on colonial issues, the political nature of coins, current circulating coins, world trade coins, modern non-circulating legal-tender coins, gold coins and the unification of European coinage.
- Instructor: George Cuhaj, editor, Standard Catalog of World Coins and Standard
- Catalog of World Paper Money Workshops (Free; pre-registration requested)
- • Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Buying & Selling at Auction…But Were Afraid to Ask, March 13, 1-3 p.m.
- Advice on how to be successful when you consign and bid at numismatic auction.
- Instructor: Kevin Foley, consignment director and senior numismatist for rare currency,
- Bowers and Merena (official auction company of the 2009 National Money Show).
- • Estate Planning for Numismatists, March 14, 1-3 p.m.
- Inheriting a collection can be overwhelming to family members. This workshop gives you tips to ensure your collection doesn’t become a burden on your loved ones.
- Instructor: A. Ronald Sirna, Jr., PLLC, Attorney at Law and ANA General Counsel
- • Coin Collecting Basics, March 15, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- A guide for the new collector, including consumer awareness, grading, proper storage, handling and preservation.
- Instructor: Rod Gillis, ANA numismatic educator • Coin Collecting 101, March 13-15, Hall C Lobby
- Informal 30-minute offerings for the numismatic newcomer. For times and topics, see the Schedule of Events online at www.money.org and in the Convention Program.
- • Boy Scout Coin Collecting Merit Badge Workshop & Girl Scout Fun with Money Patch
- Workshop, March 14 – Boy Scouts, 10 a.m.-Noon or 2-4 p.m.; Girl Scouts, 9-11 a.m. or 1-3 p.m. Pre-registration is required. To register Boy Scouts, e-mail James Reinders at firstname.lastname@example.org. To register Girl Scouts, e-mail James and Beth Reinders at email@example.com.
To register for a seminar or workshop, or for more information, call 719-482-9857, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.money.org (select “National Money Show” from the “Featured Links” tab”).
The Portland National Money Show will be held from March 13-15 at the Oregon Convention Center. The show is free and open to the public from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.
Scott Loos is the event's general chairman, Larry Rowe is the honorary general chairman, Gene Wiley is the Numismatic Theatre chairman and Eric Holcomb is the exhibit chairman.
The Willamette Coin Club and the Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association are the event's host clubs and the Salem Numismatic Society is the honorary host club. Bowers and Merena Auctions is the official auction company.
Originally Release Date: December 10, 2008
ANA Contacts: Phone: 719-482-9814