Login

.999 is Fine

I just read an article in Coin World that really surprised me.  Some of you are probably already aware, but I was most assuredly not.  According to the Coin World article, starting this year, all US Coins will be made in pure silver, they will no longer use the traditional 90% silver we have known for decades.  This means that the silver commemoratives and the silver proof sets, will all be .999 fine silver.  Wow, I guess that is GOOD. it will certainly make the refiners happy if/when those coins are turned in for their bullion value.  On the other hand, the copper industry might be slightly miffed.

1 month ago

Now is that 9.99 or .999? So that means less copper and more silver. It all depends on the decimal point correct. That makes our silver almost pure or just to use less copper. So our coins will be purer. We're the Canada mint uses .9999. That would be 100% pure.?

1 month ago

I don't understand the reasoning. Why not .900 silver? 

1 month ago

So I'm not alone.

1 month ago

It is .999 fine silver. i do not know what was wrong with the .9 as it still looks honestly the same as the bullion pieces, but i guess now they can jack up the prices even more.

1 month ago

I am thinking they are going with 999 fine silver because they can save on the costs of making the .9 planchets and raise the overall price at the same time.  So suddenly they have a bigger profit margin.

1 month ago

Yes, but if they raise the price, less people will buy them. I predict prices will start going down. Also, I like this new 2019-W cent they are doing.

26 days ago

I am looking forward to this 2019-W cent as well.

25 days ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.