Login

1787 CT Copper - Identification

Hello,
Would appreciate your help in identifying the particulars of this 1787 CT copper.  Thank you! 

30 days ago

i looked in my red book, and it looks like a Laughing Head or a Horned Bust.

29 days ago

If the gray line wasn't going thru it we would have a better chance. Do you own this coin? If you do bring it to a dealer or send it in. . That's all I can help . Or did you take a picture from a magazine. I don't understand that line.

29 days ago

I agree with A.J., it is the horned bust variety, you can read more here:
https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/CT-Copper87-1.html

28 days ago

Thank you for the responses and assistance!  Sorry about the grey line in the photo.  That was not in the original picture so obviously my photography/computer skills leave a bit to be desired.  I do have the coin, so I have have attached some additional photos taken with my iPhone.  Appreciate any further insight and variety information that you can provide.

28 days ago

The photos are a little blurry and I am far from an expert on Colonials, I would recommend you contact the Early American Coppers club and see if they can provide specific information about your CT Coppers.  They are at https://eacs.org/ and you can submit a question to them.  I would suggest you ask if there is anyone you can directly contact for information about CT Coppers, if they are like most experts, they love to share their expertise.

27 days ago

After looking many times it does look like a token. I can't make out the name of what it says on the reverse.. Can you clean it up a little with with your camera. When we get the name and what it says that will be a bigger break. I don't think it's a colonial at all. 

27 days ago

Appreciate everyone's input and suggestions.  I will reach out to the Early American Coppers club.  Attached one more photo that might be a bit clearer.  Thanks again.

19 days ago

I believe it's a Connecticut token made in 1786. I don't have the reverse but that's what I found on the obverse of the token. I would check with a pre colonial token expert. What I found has the same obverse but can't be sure. Put up up the reverse even if it's blank. It's in the Deluxe Red Book Page 152. The reverse has a woman in the back and says INDE ST LIB and the date 1786. Best I can do. The obverse says, Auctori Connec

19 days ago

Thanks Pat.  I can make out the "INDE" on the left side of the reverse.  On the right side, I can make out what I believe is "LIB" and what may be the very bottom of one or two letters before the "LIB".  Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.  As suggested in an earlier post, I will reach out to the Early American Copper club.

15 days ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.