Login

1964 proof cent

Ok, Ok. I know what my coin is. I recently went to a flea market and picked up a proof 1964 lincoln cent for $1. I looked at it under a microscope and it appears to be an MS-70. Before sending it to NGC, I called around to my favorite dealers. Only one was really interested. They wanted to know if it was a brown, red-brown, red, or cameo. It is either a red or deep cameo. The other dealers were not interested in "modern proof coins." One sold on ebay for $1,750, so I think they just didn't know. How much do you think this is worth and should I send it to NGC, should I sell it, and how should I sell it if I do. *all apparent scratches are on 2x2 Sorry they are sideways

1 month ago

you should send it! it looks awesome.

1 month ago

I'd send it as well, even the 2x2 looks ancient. Probably hasn't been exposed to air for decades.

1 month ago

I hope you get the grade you want. That would be terrific. I have been grading coins for about 15 years. The last sheet we keep I put the grade next to the coin. I have a 93% correct grades. Now I studied books and developed a system. I read NGC article on grading. Believe me they don't use a microscope either do i. They use a loop. If i thought a coin to be a MS 70. They go to a higher magnafication. That's were you will find that one mark. It breaks your heart. I use a halogen lite and the room is dark. These must be followed. You will see marks unfortunately under these conditions. I have in all this time never graded a MS 70. A proof yes. I encourage you to send it in and wish you all the luck. But grading is very hard. I have faith in you. Good luck.

1 month ago

A proof 68 Rd went for $14.00 on ebay yesterday. In a PCGS slab. Search the SOLD listings. That is where the truth lies. Good luck.

1 month ago

the 1750 one was in sold listings

1 month ago

Great. Good luck..

1 month ago

Interesting discrepencies, a PF69 64 recently sold for just under $60, and a group of PF70s, from ICG, that included a 64 sold for $128.  That tells me that the PF70 must be exceedingly rare and when you consider the original packaging, the fact it was taken out of that original packaging and placed in a 2X2, makes me think the chances of it coming back as a 70 are not good.  Please let us know he outcome.

1 month ago

The 1964 Proof.set was the first year in the Kennedy. I don't have a book my back is out so I'm not sure it's the mintge. That makes everything.

1 month ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.