Login

1983 p clad dime... without clad?

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how this1983 clad dime could loose its clad coating. I have put it under a microscope and cannot seem to figure it out. You can see where there use to be clad in some very small areas and I have even tried to scratch it in a very small spot to see if it was just tarnished, but it doesn't seem to show anything except the tarnishing(?). More curious than anything. Thanks!

6 years ago

@coincrazed_in_ia
Just wondering if anyone could tell me how this1983 clad dime could loose its clad coating. I have put it under a microscope and cannot seem to figure it out. You can see where there use to be clad in some very small areas and I have even tried to scratch it in a very small spot to see if it was just tarnished, but it doesn't seem to show anything except the tarnishing(?). More curious than anything. Thanks!
How do you know it lost the clad layers? If that's the case, then were they there to begin with? Your coin looks like it has the clad layers, but very darkened, perhaps due to environmental damage or a caustic acid. Have you weighed it with a good digital scale? A clad dime should weigh 2.27 grams before any wear from circulation. If your coin is significantly less than that you may want to show it to someone else at a local coin club and/or coin shop for other opinions from those who can inspect the coin in hand; too hard to tell definitively just from the pictures here. When you look at it under the scope, do you see any indications of corrosion and/or environmental damage?

6 years ago

Numiner9, I don't really know much about the coin it was given to me this way. It only weighs 2.184 when I put it on the scale. I'm not really seeing any type of corrosion from any chemicals or environmental damage. I can see on some of the higher points that it shows some of the clad but even the reeding on the edges look to be solid copper. More curious than anything as to what would cause this type of discoloration. Thank you for your response!

6 years ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.