Two Bits Podcast
Welcome to Two Bits, the American Numismatic Association’s podcast about the wonderful world of coins and paper currency. Enjoy wide-ranging discussions about numismatics, in a fun and engaging way.
Host Mitch Sanders is the author of the column “Getting Started” in the ANA’s Numismatist magazine. A lifelong collector, his numismatic interests range from popular collectibles like Mercury dimes and Franklin halves to more esoteric items including Canadian Chartered banknotes and Swedish plate money. From 2003 to 2010, he served as a representative of the general public on the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee, and was committee chair from 2005 to 2009.
Do you have any questions, suggestions, or comments for Doug & Mitch? Click here to get in touch!
Season Two; Episode 4: Metals, Part 1
Join Doug and Mitch as they discuss the fundamental ingredient of coinage: metal. They consider the origins, histories, and properties of the metals used in coinage, and rank them according to how interesting their stories are. Find out why a small amount of gold goes a long way, and why silver is compelling even in a sometimes supporting role.
— February 10, 2023
Listen to Season Two; Episode 4
Season Two; Episode 3: Lincoln Cents, Part 3
Join Doug and Mitch for the last in their series of podcasts about the Lincoln Cent. join them as they discuss the action-packed years of 2009-2010, which featured four commemorative reverses and a new, permanent reverse. Find out about their compliments, and a few nitpicks, for the latest examples of this century-old coin.
— February 10, 2023
Listen to Season Two; Episode 3
Season Two; Episode 2: Lincoln Cents, Part 2
Join Doug and Mitch as they discuss a coin that has been touched by so many people since 1959: the Lincoln Memorial Cent. They describe the artistry of the coin (and the Memorial itself), varieties in the series, and the details of changes in the coin’s composition. Find out how this classic coin has rolled with the changes!
— September 29, 2022
Listen to Season Two; Episode 2
Season Two; Episode 1: Lincoln Cents, Part 1
Join Doug and Mitch as they kick off Season 2 of Two Bits with a discussion of the coin that started so many numismatists on their hobby journey: the Lincoln Cent. They explain the coin’s historical origins, the controversy and jealousy that accompanied its debut, and the coveted mistakes that are part of the series. Find out why the humble cent is such a compelling collectible!
Virtual Exhibit: 1943 and 1944 cents (www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits/1943-1944cents)
— April 22, 2022
Listen to Season Two; Episode 1
Season One; Episode 11: Numismatic Literature Roundup, Part 2
Join Doug and Mitch for Part 2 of their numismatic literature roundup as they discuss more favorite works from overviews to deep dives. Find out how these great books can inform and inspire your collecting pursuits! Books discussed include:
Ancient Coin Collecting (Volumes I to VI) by Wayne Sayles
Vatican City Coins 1929-1979 by Peter Jencius
Coins of the World by R.A.G. Carson
— August 31, 2021
Listen to Season One; Episode 11
Season One; Episode 10: Numismatic Literature Roundup, Part 1
Join Doug and Mitch as they discuss some contemporary and classic works of numismatic literature, with subjects ranging from compelling moments in American history to the vast array of worldwide issues. Find out why Doug’s book is one of Mitch’s favorites! Books discussed include:
All The Money In The World by Doug Mudd
The Early Paper Money of America by Eric P. Newman
In God We Trust by William Bierly
— July 27, 2021
Listen to Season 1; Episode 10
Season One; Episode 9: Saint-Gaudens and the Renaissance of American Coinage
Join Doug and Mitch as they discuss Augustus Saint-Gaudens and his gold double eagle. They describe his monumental sculptural work, his vital role in the Renaissance of American Coinage, and the challenges involved in making his coins a reality. Find out how the determination of Theodore Roosevelt and the artistry of Augustus Saint-Gaudens combined to create an American masterpiece!
— May 21, 2021
Listen to Season One; Episode 9
Season One; Episode 8: Ken Bressett
Join Doug and Mitch for the latest episode of Two Bits and their first celebrity interview. Follow their conversation with Ken Bressett about his long career in the hobby, including his role as editor of the “Red Book,” his many publications and his unexpected adventures, including numismatic scuba diving! Find out how a flavored beverage launched the collecting pursuits of one of the best-known numismatists of our time!
— April 14, 2021
Listen to Season One; Episode 8
Season One; Episode 7: Ancient Greek Coinage
Join Doug and Mitch as they discuss the history, economics, and artistry of coinage in the Greek world. They also offer suggestions for starting an affordable collection of these ancient artifacts, and review some recommended reference works. Find out why ancient Greek coins are still fascinating after 2,500 years!
— January 28, 2021
Listen to Season One; Episode 7
Season One; Episode 6: The Dawn of Coinage
Join Doug and Mitch as they delve into the origins of coinage of the ancient world. They discuss the challenges of the barter system, the spread of metallic standards, and the invention of coinage as we know it. Find out why it’s easier to make change for a coin than for a cow!
— November 5, 2020
Listen to Season One; Episode 6
Season One; Episode 5: History of Morgan and Peace Dollars
Join Doug and Mitch for a discussion that ranges from the silver mines of the Old West to the halls of government in Washington DC and beyond (including the land of Oz), recounting the economic and political forces behind Morgan and Peace Dollars. Find out about all of the historical twists and turns involving these popular collectibles!
— September 3, 2020
Listen to Season One; Episode 5
For information about collecting Morgan and Peace Dollars, check out Collecting and Investing in Morgan Dollars: A Comprehensive Approach, by John Baumgart and Michael S. Fey, Ph.D., part of the ANA’s eLearning Academy (ANA eLearning Academy Recorded Webinars)
Season One; Episodes 3 & 4: Stars of the ANA Edward C. Rochette Money Museum
Join Doug and Mitch as they rank the five most impressive items on display at the Money Museum, with extensive commentary about the pieces and their stories. There’s even a surprise twist at the end. Find out about the very best that the ANA’s world-class museum has to offer!
— July 21, 2020
Listen to Season One; Episode 4: The Top Two “Wow” Coins
Listen to Season One; Episode 3: Introduction, Honorable Mention, #5, #4, and #3
More about the Money Museum:
Items discussed (in chronological order by date of issue):
- 1804 dollar: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits/1804dollar
- Clark-Gruber gold: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits/coloradogold
- 1868 $5 (pattern): http://hbrf.org/coin-collection/coin/hbcc-6072/
- 1870-S $3 gold: http://hbrf.org/coin-collection/coin/hbcc-4024/
- 1896 “Educational” $1 Silver Certificate: http://www.ana-museum.org/1988_17_390_f.html
- 1913 Liberty Nickel: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits/1913nickel
Season One; Episode 2: Numismatic Literature Roundup
In this episode of Two Bits, Doug and Mitch discuss some of the many excellent options available for numismatic reading. They introduce the extensive online research tools of the Newman Numismatic Portal and The Numismatist Digital Archives, and they recommend some recent printed books that are likely to interest collectors. Find out about the latest and greatest in the world of numismatic literature!
— June 25, 2020
Listen to Season One; Episode 2
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Newman Numismatic Portal: https://nnp.wustl.edu/
- American Colonial History Illustrated by Contemporary Medals, by Charles Wyllys Betts: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/519282
- Annual Report of the Director of the Mint: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/51
- David Lisot Video Library: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852
- Eric P. Newman Archive (among others): https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/archives
- American Currency Exhibit, San Francisco Federal Reserve: https://www.frbsf.org/education/teacher-resources/american-currency-exhibit/
- The Numismatist Digital Archives: https://www.money.org/thenumismatist/digitalarchives
- Medallic Washington by Neil Musante (book review): https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n42a03.html
- The Story of Silver by William Silber (book review): https://www.ft.com/content/723498e4-59ec-11e9-939a-341f5ada9d40
Season One; Episode 1: Numismatics in a Time of Social Isolation
In the inaugural episode of Two Bits, hosts Doug Mudd and Mitch Sanders discuss collecting during the isolation of the COVID 19 crisis. They explore the virtues of virtual meetings, online museum exhibits, and numisma-tourism, along with other online resources and research tools. Find out how to get your numismatic fix, despite staying at home!
— June 2, 2020
Listen to Season One; Episode 1
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Money Museum: https://www.money.org/money-museum
- Money Museum Tales from the Vault: https://www.money.org/tales-from-the-vault
- Money Museum virtual tour: https://www.money.org/money-museum-virtualtour
- Money Museum virtual exhibits: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits
- The Numismatourist: http://www.numismatourist.com
- Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection: https://americanhistory.si.edu/national-numismatic-collection
- Art of Frank Gasparro: https://www.si.edu/spotlight/art-of-frank-gasparro-10th-united-states-mint-chief-engraver
- British Museum: https://www.britishmuseum.org/our-work/departments/coins-and-medals
- Bank of Canada Currency Museum: https://www.bankofcanadamuseum.ca/
- Parthian coins: http://www.parthia.com/parthia_coins.htm
- Stacks Bowers Catalog Library: https://www.stacksbowers.com/Pages/CatalogLibrary.aspx
- Heritage Auction Archives: https://coins.ha.com/heritage-auctions-hall-of-fame-best-prices-realized.s?ic=browsecategory-all-sold-121515