Login

1870CC Half Copy

Well,
I read something very interesting today, the Carson City Mint is going to mint 3000 1870CC Liberty Seated Halves to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the CC mint.  If you are able to get to Carson City for the release party on 01 August, you can buy a ticket to get one of the first 200 minted at a catered party at the old mint building.  The coins will be struck on the actual press used to strike the original 1870 Half and will have the word COPY incused in the field.  They will be pure silver.  

If you cannot make the event, you can still buy one of the remaining 2800, to be minted, by emailing Nicolette Johnston @ njohnston@nevadaculture.org to ask to be placed on her list of interested parties.  I expect the price to be about $150.00. That is the cost of attending the release party in person on 01 August. BTW, I have no connection to the Nevada Culture Organization, just reporting what ANA and Coin World have already reported.

12 days ago

Well that's another one I miss out on. But I'm content with what I have. I hope the regular collectors get one. But that's a good idea. You know we're they came from. They will be beautiful. Those who get one I wish you luck and congratulations. Get there a week early don't waite. This is big so don't miss out. I want to read some blogs on it. I also like the idea it's silver not gold. This is being done very well. Thanks for the info. 

12 days ago

might make it, my mom said sometime this year we will go to SC, so i think i might get to go there.

11 days ago

Carson City is in Nevada, not South Carolina.

10 days ago

i mixed Charlotte with Carson city somehow.

10 days ago

Charlotte did have a US Branch Mint at one time, there was also the Dahlonega Branch Mint in your home state of Georgia.  But both of them only minted gold coins.  Interestingly, the gold coins they minted were from mines local to the aforementioned Branches. 

10 days ago

The fact that the US Mint is doing something like this interesting. I'd rather they do something more to the coin to make it distinguishable from the originals, as I would hate seeing the word "copy" stamped on it after paying $150. But if the coin was struck from original hubs, I'd be well worth it. 

10 days ago

i would be cool if it had  on the rim "1870-2019 150 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF CARSON CITY MINT"

10 days ago

Well Worn Copper, this is not a U.S. Mint product, this is being done by some private organization affiliated with the Museum in the old Mint Building.  They are using an actual press used in the 1800's at the Mint but there is no connection with the U.S. Mint, if the Mint made these, they would change some slight thing and would not put COPY on the coins.

10 days ago

I find that a very interesting thing for them to use the old press.

9 days ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.