Two Bits Podcast
Welcome to Two Bits, the American Numismatic Association’s podcast about the wonderful world of coins and paper currency. Enjoy wide-ranging discussions about numismatics, in a fun and engaging way.
Host Doug Mudd has collected since the age of 10 and is currently interested in ancients, modern paper money, WWI and pre-19th century medals and coins. He was Collection Manager for the Smithsonian Institution’s National Numismatic Collection from 1991 to 2004 and has been the curator of the ANA’s Money Museum since 2004. Author of numerous numismatic lectures, exhibits and publications, he writes a regular column for The Numismatist and has been an ANA Summer Seminar instructor since 2002. He is also the author of the NLG award winning book All the Money in the World printed in 2006 by Harper Collins as part of Smithsonian books.
Host Mitch Sanders is the author of the column "Getting Started" in the ANA's Numismatist magazine. A lifelong collector, his numismatic interests range from popular collectibles like Mercury dimes and Franklin halves to more esoteric items including Canadian Chartered banknotes and Swedish plate money. From 2003 to 2010, he served as a representative of the general public on the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee, and was committee chair from 2005 to 2009.
Episode 6: The Dawn of Coinage
Join Doug and Mitch as they delve into the origins of coinage of the ancient world. They discuss the challenges of the barter system, the spread of metallic standards, and the invention of coinage as we know it. Find out why it's easier to make change for a coin than for a cow!
Listen to Episode 6
Episode 5: History of Morgan and Peace Dollars
Join Doug and Mitch for a discussion that ranges from the silver mines of the Old West to the halls of government in Washington DC and beyond (including the land of Oz), recounting the economic and political forces behind Morgan and Peace Dollars. Find out about all of the historical twists and turns involving these popular collectibles!
Listen to Episode 5
For information about collecting Morgan and Peace Dollars, check out Collecting and Investing in Morgan Dollars: A Comprehensive Approach, by John Baumgart and Michael S. Fey, Ph.D., part of the ANA's eLearning Academy (ANA eLearning Academy Recorded Webinars)
Episodes 3 & 4: Stars of the ANA Edward C. Rochette Money Museum
Join Doug and Mitch as they rank the five most impressive items on display at the Money Museum, with extensive commentary about the pieces and their stories. There’s even a surprise twist at the end. Find out about the very best that the ANA’s world-class museum has to offer!
Listen to Episode 4: The Top Two "Wow" Coins
Listen to Episode 3: Introduction, Honorable Mention, #5, #4, and #3
More about the Money Museum:
Items discussed (in chronological order by date of issue):
- 1804 dollar: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits/1804dollar
- Clark-Gruber gold: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits/coloradogold
- 1868 $5 (pattern): http://hbrf.org/coin-collection/coin/hbcc-6072/
- 1870-S $3 gold: http://hbrf.org/coin-collection/coin/hbcc-4024/
- 1896 “Educational” $1 Silver Certificate: http://www.ana-museum.org/1988_17_390_f.html
- 1913 Liberty Nickel: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits/1913nickel
Episode 2: Numismatic Literature Roundup
In this episode of Two Bits, Doug and Mitch discuss some of the many excellent options available for numismatic reading. They introduce the extensive online research tools of the Newman Numismatic Portal and The Numismatist Digital Archives, and they recommend some recent printed books that are likely to interest collectors. Find out about the latest and greatest in the world of numismatic literature!
Listen to Episode 2
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Newman Numismatic Portal: https://nnp.wustl.edu/
- American Colonial History Illustrated by Contemporary Medals, by Charles Wyllys Betts: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/519282
- Annual Report of the Director of the Mint: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/51
- David Lisot Video Library: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852
- Eric P. Newman Archive (among others): https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/archives
- American Currency Exhibit, San Francisco Federal Reserve: https://www.frbsf.org/education/teacher-resources/american-currency-exhibit/
- The Numismatist Digital Archives: https://www.money.org/thenumismatist/digitalarchives
- Medallic Washington by Neil Musante (book review): https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n42a03.html
- The Story of Silver by William Silber (book review): https://www.ft.com/content/723498e4-59ec-11e9-939a-341f5ada9d40
Episode 1: Numismatics in a Time of Social Isolation
In the inaugural episode of Two Bits, hosts Doug Mudd and Mitch Sanders discuss collecting during the isolation of the COVID 19 crisis. They explore the virtues of virtual meetings, online museum exhibits, and numisma-tourism, along with other online resources and research tools. Find out how to get your numismatic fix, despite staying at home!
Listen to Episode 1
Resources discussed in this episode:
- Money Museum: https://www.money.org/money-museum
- Money Museum Tales from the Vault: https://www.money.org/tales-from-the-vault
- Money Museum virtual tour: https://www.money.org/money-museum-virtualtour
- Money Museum virtual exhibits: https://www.money.org/money-museum/virtual-exhibits
- The Numismatourist: http://www.numismatourist.com
- Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection: https://americanhistory.si.edu/national-numismatic-collection
- Art of Frank Gasparro: https://www.si.edu/spotlight/art-of-frank-gasparro-10th-united-states-mint-chief-engraver
- British Museum: https://www.britishmuseum.org/our-work/departments/coins-and-medals
- Bank of Canada Currency Museum: https://www.bankofcanadamuseum.ca/
- Parthian coins: http://www.parthia.com/parthia_coins.htm
- Stacks Bowers Catalog Library: https://www.stacksbowers.com/Pages/CatalogLibrary.aspx
- Heritage Auction Archives: https://coins.ha.com/heritage-auctions-hall-of-fame-best-prices-realized.s?ic=browsecategory-all-sold-121515