Login

2016 Mercury Full-Bands?

When I bought the 2016 1/10 oz. gold I noticed that mine has weakly struck bands. Upon looking at many high resolution images online, in hand at dealers and a few coin shows, none were found with full bands. Nor have any been confirmed at the third party grading firms. With this conundrum in mind, I pondered on the striking itself. With these being a proof coin the multiple, slow strike usually brings up well defined details. So my attention turns towards the working dies. Were these new dies cut from the original galvanos (plaster casting) or from originals stored in the mint cabinet at Philadelphia?   I have asked the mint directly and they provided little information.  Does any one know if a full band exists?

28 days ago

The unlucky dime . 9,500 were returned for that reason . They can make a regular mercury dime but can't split the bands. It's just another mint screwup. I sent them a message saying they can split the atom but not the bands. So these returns just sat there till it got towards the  end of year and sold them. They couldn't redo them they would have to do all of them over because there would be a price problem in value. You will be heading of more of the mints follies.

28 days ago

Gold is the softest metal and I wonder if it is because of that? Lots of gold coins are known to be weakly struck as a common characteristic....

28 days ago

@I. R. Bama
Gold is the softest metal and I wonder if it is because of that? Lots of gold coins are known to be weakly struck as a common characteristic....They have made more difficult coins with more.detail. I'm not letting them off with that.

28 days ago

The gold Mercury dime is a smaller diameter than the true silver one. Gold is 3.11 grams and a diameter of 16.5 mm.. The beautiful Winged Liberty Head/ Mercury is 2.50 grams and a diameter of 17.9 mm..  Very, very disappointing.

28 days ago

Big Anniversary. Remember they wanted to do all three coins in the silver they made them in. They would of sold so many! Think of the luster and three beautiful coins. I remember allot of collectors wanted that. But know they had to do it there way

28 days ago

@I. R. Bama
Gold is the softest metal and I wonder if it is because of that? Lots of gold coins are known to be weakly struck as a common characteristic.... That's a likely reason I overlooked. However, all of them?

28 days ago

@Longstrider
The gold Mercury dime is a smaller diameter than the true silver one. Gold is 3.11 grams and a diameter of 16.5 mm.. The beautiful Winged Liberty Head/ Mercury is 2.50 grams and a diameter of 17.9 mm..  Very, very disappointing.I noticed that the day it arrived. The quarter and half as well. 

28 days ago

@Long BeardThe three 2016 issues were not proof, they were uncirculated with extra care in handling the planchets,etc.  That is why they have SP not PF grades.

23 days ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.