1. Pittsburgh has a small but robust downtown with lots of interesting museums in the cultural district, within walking distance of the convention center and convention hotel.
2. Pittsburgh is rich in history and is the site of Fort Duquense, Fort Pitt, which were important locations before and during the French and Indian Wars.
3. The Pittsburgh area is home to Fred Rodgers and Arnold Palmer who went to the same High School, although in different grades.
4. Pittsburgh has more bridges than anywhere else in America and also the steepest street in the western hemisphere, probably the 2nd steepest in the world. Try jogging up that street, I dare you.
5. Pittsburgh is home to one of the most prestigious Universities in the world, Carnegie-Mellon University.
6. Pittsburgh is the starting point of the might Ohio River which flows from Point State Park all the way to the mightier Mississippi River.
7. Pittsburghers have a distinct accent which is hard to describe but when you hear you will be charmed.
8. Pittsburgh still has many ethnic neighborhoods, Italian, Polish, Greek, Slavic, etc. which make the city a cultural marvel.
9. Pittsburgh has been immortalized in movies as Diverse as Dark Knight Rises, Flashdance, Jack Reacher, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower, amongst many.
10. Pittsburgh has a strong Numismatic community with many members of PAN and numerous other clubs in the area. Most of us will be attending or volunteering at ANA, maybe we will meet.
Hope to see you there.
1 month ago