Login

1856 Flying Eagle Cent Pattern or regular issue coin type?

Do you guys think that the 1856 Flying Eagle cent is really a regularly issued type coin or a pattern piece?

22 days ago

Regular.type coin. Just my opinion. Mike

22 days ago

Supposedly it was a pattern but they were struck in a large quantity. Back then the Mint caved and gave the public what they wanted ($$$). And those days are long gone.

22 days ago

I think it should be considered a regular issue as 1000 were minted/released.  Most patterns have just a small handful made, under 20. 

22 days ago

I think it was a pattern. The larger mintage was for presentation purposes.

21 days ago

How do you tell which ones were pattern coins. You cant. They were made legal tender therefore a coin. It might of started out that way but it didn't last long at all.

21 days ago

It's a coin. If  the mint tried to make a coin or got crazy with patterns is another story.

21 days ago

The 1856 F.E. Cent was not approved for release (President Pierce signed the law approving production of the F.E. Cent on Feb. 21, 1857) and was minted so that Congress, the President and others could evaluate the proposed coin.  This is a pattern.

The number of patterns produced, as well as their distribution,  becomes non sequitur to the issue.  There are other reasons so many 1856 F.E. Cents were produced that you can conduct some research on.

13 days ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.