Login

1974 Aluminum Cent

Just read an interesting article by Blanchard concerning the Aluminum Cents dated 1974.  I had forgotten about these coins but read that there are a few of the still in the wild.  Kind of like the 1964 Peace Dollar.  Apparently the idea of aluminum was rejected for a number of reasons to include problems with vending machines, problems with the Copper industry, and even concerns that an ingested Cent, say by a child, might not show up on X-Ray.   I know other countries have issued Aluminum Coins, I have had Italian, Spanish, and Korean Coins in Aluminum, I think Japan even has one. 

Do you remember these?  More importantly, do you have one hidden away, you would like to share with the rest of us?  You know, surreptitiously, so the Feds don't find out.

1 month ago

The closest I came to one was at the Money Show in Anaheim a few years ago..The feds were there watching. It was set up next to the US Mints tables...

1 month ago

That's cool, you just wonder if/when another one will surface.  I saw the 1933 Double Eagle last May, same kind of heavy security at the PAN show.

1 month ago

I've always thought that 1933 double eagle, 1964 peace dollar, 1974 aluminum cent, and others of that type are really cool. Ther're illegal to own, aren't they?

1 month ago

Yes, for sure all illegal to own by private citizens but still existing in government collections.  At least the 33 and 74.

1 month ago

I did see one at the Smithsonian yrs ago. I understand there is also a 1975 aluminum cent.

1 month ago

The mint did display their 2 1933's (and the '74) in 2017, didn't they? I would have loved to actually see it.

1 month ago

One error on my part, their is one '33 Double Eagle in private hands.  This was the example held by King Farouk of Egypyt at one time, before the Nasser revolution.

1 month ago

Where is the Farouk Double Eagle?

1 month ago

The Farouk Double Eagle was sold for approximately 7.5 million to a seller that wishes to remain unknown.  The proceeds were split between the US Government and a British Coin Dealer.  The reason the coin was allowed to remain in private hands was because our government issued an export license to the coin, for King Farouk, in the 1940's.  They monetized the Double Eagle buy giving the Government a nice crisp 20 dollar bill (in addition to the auction proceeds)   A very interesting story.

1 month ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.