Gary E. Lewis and Willliam H. Horton Jr. elected new ANA President and VP; three new governors to join board
A new president, vice president, and three new governors, and four incumbents have been elected to the American Numismatic Association (ANA) nine-member Board of Governors, with 8,544 ballots cast in the biennial election.
ANA Vice President Gary E. Lewis of Cape Coral, Florida, was elected president, defeating ANA Governor Patricia A. Finner of Iola, Wisconsin. Lewis received 4,589 votes to Finner’s 3,827.
In the contested election for the vice presidency, Governor William H. Horton Jr. of Keyport, New Jersey, defeated Governor Kay Edgerton Lenker of San Diego, California, by a vote of 4,391 to 3,919.
New Board members are Alan Herbert, Donald H. Kagin and Will Rossman. Incumbents re-elected are M. Remy Bourne, Arthur M. Fitts III, Barry Stuppler and John Wilson.
Lewis, a 43-year life member of the ANA, was first elected to the Board of Governors in 1995 and has served on the ANA’s Audit, Finance, Exhibit, Resolutions, Mediation, Commemorative Quarter and Young Numismatists Committees. He also has served as a regional, district and club representative and is the 1979 recipient of the ANA Outstanding Adult Advisor Award.
Horton, a 31-year life member of the ANA, was first elected to the Board of Governors in 2001. The general chairman of the 2000 ANA World’s Fair of Money in Philadelphia, he is a co-founder and first president of the Garden State Numismatic Association, and has served as president of a number of other clubs. Horton has served on a number of committees for the ANA and been recognized by several clubs for his outstanding contributions.
All members of the ANA Board of Governors elected this year will assume office during the Association’s 112th Anniversary Convention in Baltimore, Maryland, July 30-August 3. Installation of officers will take place at the convention banquet on Saturday, August 2.
Votes garnered by the candidates, as tabulated by the independent accounting firm of Biggs Kofford & Company are:
- • 4,800 for M. Remy Bourne of Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
- • 4,260 for Michael S. Fey of Morris Plains, New Jersey
- • 4,799 for Arthur M. Fitts III of Framingham, Massachusetts
- • 4,576 for Alan Herbert of Belle Fourche, South Dakota
- • 5,749 for Donald H. Kagin of Tiburon, California
- • 4,195 for Bob Korver of Carollton, Texas
- • 3,649 for Walter A. Ostromecki Jr. of Panorama City, California
- • 4,289 for Will Rossman of Estes Park, Colorado
- • 4,939 for Barry Stuppler of Woodland Hills, California
- • 3,375 for Anthony Tumonis of Tucson, Arizona
- • 5,918 for John Wilson of Ocala, Florida
- • Nearly 30 percent of the eligible ANA voting membership cast ballots in this election; nearly 28 percent voted in the ANA election two years ago.
Originally Release Date: July 15, 2003
ANA Contacts: Phone: 719-482-9872